Monday, February 8, 2016

An Interview with Researcher, Dr. Susan Ruiz

1. Please briefly describe your current research.
My current research interest examines social isolation in partners of veterans with PTSD. This was my dissertation research; it looks into the expressed experiences from partners of veterans diagnosed with PTSD. I continue to explore the individual perceptions from these partners. I am interested in how they cope with lack of social support from family and friends, and their perceived experiences with the stigma that many veterans with PTSD experience. As more and more active duty military transition into a veteran status, the prevalence of PTSD has increased due to the current war theatre in Iraq and Afghanistan. The emphasis of my research is on how these partners deal with the social isolation in their veterans, which is often dealt with alone. A significant degree of fear may be present as these veterans may resort to physical, emotional, and mental abuse of partners who no longer feel supported.


2. How did you come to be in this area of study?
I was once a spouse of a veteran diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and PTSD. In our circle of friends, other veterans abused their wives and resorted to substances, as did my spouse. Subsequently, I realized, we had no benefits and no support. Often, each spouse suffered alone. No one ever gave them a voice in which to express the deep and painful ordeals they experienced frequently. My desire was to give them that voice.


3. What do like best about doing research?
The literature reviews. I enjoy researching topics and making contact with authors. I benefited greatly from my conversations with inspiring authors during my dissertation research.


4. What do you dislike the most about doing research?
What I disliked about doing research was that often (or so it seemed), folks would interpret the research in a variety of ways and I had to learn to embrace different opinions and to expand my train of thought. It is also difficult to narrow a very broad topic to where an appropriate research question can be developed.


5. Any advice for new researchers who would like to be published?
I have not had years of experience providing support to those wishing to get published. I would recommend finding one or two seasoned, published researchers willing to give advice. If they give sound advice regarding a thought or direction for your research, take it to heart. They have been published and are well-versed in working with reviewers and final editors who know the quality of the research they have published, and what it will take to polish your manuscript. 


Ruiz, S. & Stadtlander, L. (2015). Social Media as Support for Partners of Veterans with PTSD. Journal of Social, Behavioral, and Health Sciences, 9(1), 1-18.

No comments:

Post a Comment