Monday, July 25, 2016

Researcher Interview: Dr. Laura Maurer

Dr. Maurer has recently published the paper: Board Member Perceptions of Small Nonprofit Organization Effectiveness through JSBHS, which can be seen at: http://scholarworks.waldenu.edu/jsbhs/vol10/iss1/3/

1. Please briefly describe your current research.
The focus of my current research is to understand the process by which boards of directors, the fiduciary agents, of small nonprofit organizations become effective (or ineffective) in meeting their organizational missions.

2 How did you come to be in this area of study?
I came to this area of study from two directions.  One was pragmatic.  I have been a member of the board of directors of four unique, small nonprofit organizations over the past fifteen years.  I experienced firsthand the stresses and constraints, as well as the rewards, of participating in the dynamic of nonprofit board operations.  I committed myself to contributing to positive social change in my community by trying to alleviate the stresses that compromise the abilities of nonprofit boards to provide quality services and programs.

At the same time, I developed an intellectual curiosity, independent of any practical application, as to how current social scientists interpret the empirical interactions among nonprofit board members.  Small nonprofit boards are made up of volunteers who devote much time, energy and financial resources to the achievement of their organizational goals.  Why would anyone do this?  I wanted to understand this phenomenon from a theoretical and academic point of view.

3. What do like best about doing research?
Academic research is surrounded by the structure of the disciplinary literature and methodology. Within that structure, I found liberation.  I was not constrained to a particular outcome.  My data directed me.  I did not direct my data.  I was as free to challenge current conceptions in my field as I was to confirm them.  This is what I like best.

4. What do you dislike the most about doing research?
I experienced frustration in maintaining adherence to APA 6th guidelines.  I took the time to familiarize myself with details of citation, in particular, and still fell woefully short in execution. (No pun intended.)  I am conflicted about whether to devote more time to perfecting these skills or whether my time could be put to better use.

5. Advice for new researchers who would like to be published?

If you believe that your research will contribute to positive social change and/or to furthering knowledge in your academic discipline you should pursue every avenue available to publication.  Your commitment will see you through any hurdles. Also, you should be able to articulate your research problem, methods, and results in language that is accessible to people outside of the academic community.  That’s what really gets people on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment