Sunday, January 24, 2016

An Interview with Researcher, Dr. Pete Anderson





1. Please briefly describe your current research.
My primary areas of research are sexual violence and HIV/AIDS. I’ve just received a small grant to study sexual violence in a population of adult workers using the Amazon site: Mechanical Turk.  With the grant we should be able to generate a sample of over 3,000 adult men and women who are ‘employees’ of Amazon.  

2 How did you come to be in this area of study?
Long story!  Short version: I studied to become a Jesuit Priest. After leaving the seminary my friends would come to me with their problems (typically sex, drugs, or family issues) and the only area the interested me was the sex part. I received a PhD from the Human Sexuality Program at New York University with a dissertation focused on women’s sexual aggression.  I’ve been studying in this area ever since.  

3. What do like best about doing research?
Discovery!  Not know what I will find and being surprised by the outcome.  

4. What do you dislike the most about doing research?
Statistical analysis – tedious! 

5. Any advice for new researchers who would like to be published?
Read published work.  Find a journal that has demonstrated interest in your topic (typically one you cited regularly in you review of literature) and read multiple articles from several issues. When you are comfortable with the contents of the journal you can hone your work to mirror the quality of the journal and improve your chances of publishing. Beyond that, never take rejection personally or as a setback as it is an opportunity to improve your work and get it published in some other journal.

Next time,  some words on following directions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment